It's been a while, so be prepared for a few blogs so I can catch up... but be prepared... its going to be all out of order!
On Wednesday, I took the kids to Men's Wearhouse to get John a tie for Father's Day... well 2 ties because they had a Buy One Get One free deal. So I picked out a red tie (per John's request) and let the kids pick a tie... and they picked a purple tie. Surprisingly, the kids weren't overly excited about it, but managed to keep quiet about it until Saturday afternoon.
John had asked me to get some cologne from Target that day... so when I got home, I put the two ties in the bag and let the kids give it to him. John had no idea and the kids were so excited to tell Daddy that he could wear the purple tie to church tomorrow... and he did.
After church we went down to my mother-in-law's house for dinner (since she offered to make dinner for all the fathers). After dinner we went to my father-in-law's for a little while to wish him a happy Father's Day.
My Tributes
Grandpa -
My grandpa has always been there for me to help me in any way I have ever needed. When I was a child and needed clothes, he would take me to the store and buy them ... when I wanted ice cream he bought it... when I wanted to go swimming, he would take me ... when I needed a dress for prom, he bought it... and when John was sick, he came down here to help me with the kids.
He is also an example of perseverance. He worked all his life and he worked hard. He would work even after he broke his foot. He would paint until he just couldn't do it any more. He also overcame an addiction to alcohol. He has dealt with the loss of his wife and mother within a week of each other, and the loss of one of his brothers more recently... but still manages to live his life and do everything he can to make the best out of his situation.
I have never doubted my grandpa's love for me... and I know even now that he would do anything for me, as long as he could. I also love to see him with my kids... To my grandpa, I love you very much and you have been the best example for me.
Dad
My dad is not my biological father... but he adopted me when I was around 5 years old... but has been in my life since I was less than a year old. He stepped in and was the father figure in my life when my biological father was no where to be found. When I was younger, he worked hard and did his best to provide our family with those things that we needed most. As I grew older, I was always able to talk to my dad about anything, granted topics were usually about things like cars, computers, technology, life philosophy, etc. My dad was strict with me growing up... and looking back, I appreciate the discipline that was in my life because of him. He helped to balance my mom's youthfulness and spontaneity. I remember growing up thinking that "He picks on me" but I look back and know without a doubt that he was the disciplinarian in our family out of love.
My husband
Every day, I am grateful for the man I married. He loves me unconditionally... in my best and worst moments... he can make me laugh and help me to break out of my comfort zone when I feel like I'm trapped in a bubble I've created for myself. He is also a great father to our children. He loves them unconditionally and provides for all of their temporal needs to the best of his ability. He is also demonstrating a great example to our kids by working on being baptized and both of us working towards our family being sealed in the temple. He glows when our kids are laughing and having fun with him... especially in the car when he revs the engine. Our daughter has him wrapped around her little finger (but don't tell him that)... and our son wants to be just like him. Our kids love to spend time with their dad and especially help them to work. When it comes to parenting he balances me out by helping me to let them make mistakes and to help them learn new skills. He is the best father I could have picked!
No comments:
Post a Comment